At Brisbane within the Ann Street Church on 21 May 1996 on which the General Assembly being duly constituted.
The deliverance as a whole was approved as follows:
That the Assembly:
1. Commend the Sex Education Video “Why Waiting is Worth the Wait” to the Church.
2. Commend the article “Is Toronto Biblical?” by Rev Peter Bloomfield to Presbyteries and Sessions for their consideration. (Appendix B of the Report of the Public Questions and Communications Committee).
3. Thank Mrs Marise Taylor for acting as an Observer on the Queensland State Executive of Australian Family Association on behalf of the Presbyterian Church of Queensland.
4. Concur with the Media Release on Euthanasia and Sexual Practices and Relationships issued by the Clerk of Assembly with the concurrence of the Moderator and Convenor of the Public Questions and Communications Committee in response to the Statement made by the Governor General Hon W.G. Hayden, at the Medical Conferrence held at the Gold Coast on 21st June 1995. (Appendix D of the Report of the Public Questions and Communications Committee).
5. Commend the book “A Gambling-Led Recovery? Don’t Bet on It!” from The Presbyterian Church of Victoria, to Sessions and congregations for study and educational purposes.
6. Commend the book “A Life Worth Living – The Euthanasia Debate” from the The Presbyterian Church of Victoria, to Sessions and congregations for study and educational purposes.
7. (a) Appoint Mr G.S. Rutherford and Mr D.L. McCullough to the Consultative Council of DRUG-ARM.
(b) Thank Mr Gordon Dunkley for his past service to the cause of Christ on behalf of the Presbyterian Church of Queensland as a Director appointed to the Board of Christian Television Association of Queensland.
(c) Appoint Mr Andrew Newman and Rev Les Percy as Directors to the Board of CTA Queensland Ltd.
(d) Note that at the special General Meeting of CTA Queensland held on 11th December 1995, members resolved to reduce the numbers of Directors appointed by The Presbyterian Church of Queensland from three to two and to reduce the annual subscription of the Presbyterian Church of Queensland from $12,000, with a phased-in period of one year resulting in an allocated subscription to CTA Queensland by The Presbyterian Church of Queensland in 1996 of $9,705.28.
(e) Note that the difference between the 1996 budget and the amount to be paid to CTA Queensland. Will be found from Assembly expenses.
(f) Commend the CTA Queensland. For its improved financial position and for maintaining ahigh standard of positive Christian witness to the community.
8. Commend Members of Parliament willing to accept prayer to the prayerful support of the Church. (Appendix F)
9. Commend Australian Presbyterian Life (Living Today) to congregations as a source of information on the life of the Presbyterian Church of Australia and encourage Presbyteries, Sessions and congregations to submit local news items to the Editor.
10. Give thanks to the Lord for the faithful and dedicated work of Rev L.J. Percy as Convenor of the Public Questions and Communications Committee.
MEDIA RELEASE ON EUTHANASIA – 22 JUNE 1995
The Presbyterian Church of Queensland is opposed to any amendment to Queensland's law in order to make voluntary euthanasia legal.
MEDIA RELEASE - SEXUAL PRACTICES AND RELATIONSHIPS
22 JUNE 1995
The Presbyterian Church of Queensland affirms that -
i All homosexual practice (and lesbianism) is an utter defiling abomination before the holiness and goodness of God, never in any circumstances to be justified.
ii That to accept homosexual practice (even de facto) is a sin that the Church of Jesus Christ must publicly condemn and from which it should disassociate itself.
iii Each individual, and the nation as a whole should uphold the Biblical standard of heterosexual chastity before marriage and heterosexual fidelity within marriage to the exclusion of all other sexual practices and preferences.
Extracted from the records of the General Assembly by me- (Rev) R Clark- Clerk of Assembly